If a picture is worth a thousand words, then video is worth much more. Everyone needs great video and not everyone is an expert at making it happen. Here are my top 10 tips for creating great video.
- Lighting. Make sure your lighting highlights you or your subject.
- Sound. Make sure the ambient sound is to a minimum, and that you can be clearly heard.
- Wardrobe. I could do a whole hour on how important it is to dress not only to flatter you, your figure and your coloring, but to also dress for the impact you intend to have on your audience.
- Hair and Make-up. This is where so many people experience a challenge. Men: be sure to be well groomed (to the extent that it fits your brand) and do something to be less shiny if possible. Women, styles and make-up formulations change and evolve. If you have not had your make-up professionally done at least once for a video/ photo shoot, please treat yourself to that, and you’ll be amazed at how different you’ll look when you are professionally styled.
- Frame your shot. Be sure that the focus is on the subject, and that it is as centered as possible.
- For a steady shot, use a tripod. They can be as inexpensive at $13 or as costly as you’d like. I got mine on Amazon for not much more than that and it works great. Be sure to get one that will hold your camera and/ or your phone to shoot video that way.
- Write an outline, so you can stay on point and not ramble. (If you have a teleprompter…. Even better, however, please check to be sure your eyes are connecting with the camera lens to best connect with your viewers.
- Whenever possible, speak in sound bites. That way your content is easily consumed, and can be re-tweeted or repurposed easier.
- Before you make your video public, check for content, mistakes, hair and makeup mishaps (something in your teeth, on your face, or a clothing wrinkle that is distracting is what we are looking for). I’m NOT saying that a video has to be perfect, or that you can’t be human, clearly I stumbled a few times, but be sure what you post matches your brand.
- Include your contact information on your video.
Finally, should you or your organization want help in this area… call me!
Happy Fall! Thanks. Carolyn 213.291.1896